Clear aligners, such as Invisalign®, are a form of braces used to straighten teeth with a series of clear, removable retainer-like material. Because of the aligner’s nearly transparent appearance, they provide patients with an alternative to traditional braces without the appearance of metal and without restrictions on the types of food one can eat.
As a general dentistry practice, we offer clear aligner treatment for both teenagers and adults who need mild to moderate corrections . We also work closely with local orthodontic specialists on a referral basis if you aren’t a candidate for clear aligners in our office.
Free Initial Invisalign® Consultation
We start with a free initial consultation that allows us to work with you on the recommended next steps. We’ll explain what we see and listen to your main concerns or questions. Dr. Jimmy and team enjoy helping you discover how achieving straighter teeth can improve your smile and overall oral health.
What are the Benefits of Straightening Teeth?
Misaligned teeth can be caused by a variety of reasons, from genetics to bad oral habits. We like to emphasize that there are many factors to consider when considering the health of your smile and not all misaligned teeth require straightening. Sometimes it comes down to simply an esthetic decision. Many people tend to choose not to straighten their teeth due to costs, treatment time required, or discomfort they will have to go through. However, for those where treatment is recommended, straightening your teeth can have numerous benefits for your health, including:
Easier to Clean – Misaligned teeth can typically trap more food and plaque, making it more difficult to keep all areas clean through brushing and flossing. This can lead to a higher risk of decay and higher susceptibility to gum inflammation and gum disease.
- Fewer Chips and Cracks – Teeth that protrude forward tend to chip and break more often. Straighter, correctly aligned teeth, can actually help protect your bite from chips and cracks, and lessen the likelihood of biting cheeks and tongue.
- Less Wear – If your bite isn’t evenly aligned, excessive amount of stress, or load, can be placed on some areas over others. This can lead to notches, or abfractions, in the tooth at the gum line, fractures in tooth enamel, and abnormal flattening of the biting surfaces. This can lead to significant bite changes over time and very expensive dental work in the future. Straightened teeth help distribute the forces evenly and help preserve natural tooth structure long-term.
Why Choose Clear Aligners?
- Easier to keep your teeth clean vs traditional braces
- Comfortable fit
- Can be easily removed at any time
- Rarely noticeable allowing you to speak and smile freely
- No restrictions on types of food you can eat
- People find they snack less- It’s a weight loss program!
We look forward to a detailed conversation with you to listen to your concerns and determine if you are a good clear aligner candidate. If you would like to schedule a free initial consultation, schedule an appointment today at Downtown Dental, 765.345.8284.